Sunday, March 5, 2017

Vegan Mexican "Black Bean Rotini" Salad

I got this pasta from Trader Joe's.  Then I wondered what the heck I was going do with it?!  So, immediately, my new love with "tofu ricotta cheese" sprang into my head.  I would make the one I did in my recipe here and this time I had Mexican oregano too!  Then I thought I'd make it all into a salad with Mexican flavors.  I thought it would be good for lunch and as side dish for quick weeknight dinners.  I made it Sunday evening.  I used:

  • A pint of organic grape tomatoes, halved
  • Handful of fresh cilantro, stems removed and chopped
  • 2 large handfuls of organic baby arugula 
  • 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
  • 2 orange bell peppers, cleaned and diced
  • 1 ear of fresh corn on the cob, kernels sliced off (it was super sweet and I wished I had bought two)
  • 1 lime, squeezed for the juice, and the zest microplaned
  • 1/4 cup of Kirkland organic extra virgin olive oil
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt
  • 1 375 ml container of fresh salsa (medium) with no preservatives (Fresh is Best brand)
  • My tofu ricotta - Mexican style
  • 12 oz package of Trader Joe's organic black bean rotini
I thought that was a nice mix of colors.  I made the tofu cheese first and this time I had Mexican oregano too.


I put this in a big pot because I knew the salad was going to be big.

I made the pasta next, rinsed, drained and then mixed it in with the tofu.  I had a taste, it wasn't bad at all.  I could have just ate it that way after I mixed it up - but it certainly didn't look very pretty.  I guess it would have looked the same with real ricotta cheese though.  😉  I think though that next time, I'd only use half the block.


I put it back in the fridge to cool down.

I started cleaning and cutting all the vegetables next and added everything one by one to the big pot, stirring after each addition.


I finished with the arugula and cilantro.


I put this back in the fridge for an hour, to let all the flavors meld together.  Wow, at this point it tasted really good!  I was impressed!!!  This was all I had for dinner and it was totally satisfying.  I dished my son a smaller portion and made a sub sandwich for him.  I garnished with more cilantro and S&P.


YUM!  I loved it, that's all I can say, but it felt very rich and I got full really quickly.  It had robust flavor with a nice impact on the palette.  It could definitely be made much prettier to look at by leaving out the tofu part, though I liked the creaminess of it.  Like I said, I'd only use half the amount of that next time.  There was really good textures to this.  I'm going to have it with some pan fried fish for dinner tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment